During a very tumultuous summer, the support of the community was truly felt through the grassroots initiatives and leadership of Westchester’s politicians, lay leaders and professionals. Whether you rallied in NYC for the return of Gilad, Naftali, and Eyal, organized prayer sessions within your synagogue for IDF soldiers, or shared information online throughout the summer, toda raba (thank you) for everything!
Some of the chagim are behind us, and other are still ahead. Between the cooking, apologizing, lulav shopping and fast- prepping, there were also some great events to kick off the year. Here are just a few highlights:
- Congressman Eliot Engel returned from Israel with a strong message of support. The Congressman spoke about his meeting with Israel’s Prime Minister and a number of other political leaders and reaffirmed his commitment to Israel from Washington.
- There was no better way to end the Hebrew year then with a glass of Israeli wine. JNF held the first Wine and Water evening of the year (and hopefully the first of many in Northern Westchester) with guest speaker, and water technologies expert Rami Hazan at the Rosenthal JCC in Pleasantville.
- It was wonderful to mix, mingle and meet many of our community’s leaders at UJA Westchester’s annual Pacesetter event. graciously hosted by Gary and Lois Claar at their home.
- Thank you also to Larchmont Temple’s Brotherhood, Shaarey Tefilla’s Lunch and Learn Program, Hadassah, and the Sisterhood of Northeast Jewish Center for inviting me into your communities and hosting me for Israel briefing sessions this month. I look forward to seeing you all in our next Israel events.
Coming Up in October
- Teens– join us at the JCC MidWestchester on October 1st for a hilarious (ok… and informative) evening with Joel Chasnoff, pizza and an incredible way to make a real different in an IDF soldier’s life. Details can be found here.
- The iEngage Program from the Sholom Hartman Institute kicks off, also at JCC MidWestchester on October 29th. Join the circle of in depth conversations about the complex relationship between Israel and world Jewry.
- Tzahal Shalom will be up in Northern Westchester with another amazing group of active Israeli soldiers. Come hear their stories and join in the meetings and activities. For more details visit http://www.tzahalshalom.org/
Looking for something and cannot find it? Contact me and ask. I am also happy to hear recommendations and suggestions for events and programs that you would like to see in your community.