- Over 100 teens joined in for a fun night of pizza, standup, and solidarity at JCC MidWestchester. The star of the show was certainly Joel Chasnoff, who managed to split himself into 4 people at once and provoke deep, honest conversations on Zionism and Israel. The teens ended the evening by writing to lone soldiers in Israel to show their support, and those who chose to also gave a gift to help get a soldier home to see their family.
Stay tuned for additional teen engagement events planned for January 2015!
Our annual group of Tzahal Shalom soldiers arrived and brought stories from the IDF and Operation Defensive Edge to Northern Westchester. Thanks to the soldiers many kids in Westchester got to see the faces and stories behind the often tainted headlines in the news, and our soldiers were able to experience the love and support of so many families in the community.
Their jam packed schedule had the soldiers running from synagogues to meetings to days out in New York City. Many thanks to the entire Tzahal Shalom volunteering team for all the wonderful efforts they put into making this year’s program so successful.
Schechter Middle School hosted Congressman Eliot Engel and AIPAC Westchester Diretor Eric Gallagher to discuss Israel. The 7th graders heard stories from the Congressman and about his recent visit to Israel and meetings with PM Netanyahu, Cabinet ministers and about ‘touring’ the Hamas terror tunnels.
A big thank you to Ronnit Vasserman, Rabbi Harry Pell and the Schechter team for making this event so successful!
- The Chabads of Westchester and the Westchester Jewish Council hosted Eva Schloss, stepsister of Anne Frank, to tell her story of survival during the Holocaust.A jam packed room in Tarrytown sat silent, listening to Eva as she told her incredible story, which included intricate details of Anne and Otto Frank’s lives.
- Our first WAJE iEngage class from the Sholom Hartman Institute kicked off this month at the JCC MidWestchester in Scarsdale. The class delved straight into the heart of today’s reality by discussing the realities of today’s relationship between Jews in Israel and Jews around the world.
Our conversation continues throughout November and through January. Click here for details on how to join.
A special thanks to Temple Beth Abraham in Tarrytown for hosting me for Sunday brunch to discuss Israel’s complicated summer, and to Tamar Hadassah (Somers) for inviting me to speak at the annual donor luncheon.
November events and programs:
- Our iEngage Program continues through November with weekly meetings. It is not too late to join! For more information click here.
- Is your teen looking for a gap year program? Join the info session for Aardvark Israel in White Plains on Nov 2nd 2014 at 7:00pm. For more info, contact email@example.com
- Join us on November 10th at 7:30 at the JCC on the Hudson for an evening of up close and honest IDF and Israel discussions.
- The annual Diversity breakfast, hosted by AJC will convene at 7:45am on November 20th at Manhattanville College. This unique event brings together different faiths and shows how brotherhood and companionship can defeat hate. For more details and to RSVP click here.
- Israelis/ Hebrew speakers are invited to join the brand new Israeli Parliament of Mount Kisco. The group will be holding its first meeting to discuss Israeli and Jewish world current affairs at Mount Kisco Hebrew Congregation on November 19th at 7:30pm. To join the conversation please RSVP to Tzachi: firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking for something and cannot find it? Contact me and ask. I am also happy to hear recommendations and suggestions for events and programs that you would like to see in your community.